Sunday, March 1, 2009

After Tupac and D Foster

Well, I just finished reading After Tupac and D Foster, a novel by Jacqueline Woodson. I'm not really sure if it is considered YA or not - I found it in both YA and KIDLIT at libraries and on websites - so I decided to post about it online...

I personally didn't like it AT ALL, boring story, boring plot, boring period...

I don't know HOW it won Newbery Honors...

Waste of paper and ink - I pride myself to be an environmentalist, so you know that I'm not kidding about the waste part - but I might as well tell you a bit about it since you may like it - or not.

It is about this girl and her friend who seem to be happy or sad depending on whether this rapper named Tupac is in jail or not - WHY, I don't know - well it said something about being similar but still - WHY, it doesn't give a rational reason...

They make freinds with this foster kid named Desiree (D) and they go roaming and make snow angels - it took me 7 nights to finish it, every time I got into bed and started reading, the story bored me to sleep - and it is under 150 pages!

I WOULD NOT recommend it...

1.5/5
Waste of paper and ink

Ages 2 and up - it would probably bore them too...

The Newbery awards are going DOWNHILL.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...such an honest review. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Newbery is going downhill because they selected a book you didn't like it?

    There seems to be a pattern here that a book's merit is based solely on your preferences. Your reviews provide little more than your opinion. No examples from the text. No insights.

    Where is the substance in your reviews?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth: Thanks.
    Susan: I'm expressing my and my friends opinion. If someone else likes it, I'm not condemning it or anything. I'm just saying what I think of the book. If I was completely objective, the review would be boring. First this happened. Then that happened. Some people may like it, and some people might not. BORING! The personal opinion in the review was the soul of the review. I will admit that the storyline was a LITTLE bit more interesting than what I made it out to be - but I still wouldn't recommend it. The readers aren't looking for the plain storyline - they are looking for whether other readers liked it or not, because that will tell them if it is their kind of book or not. Of you liked it that is your opinion, not mine. There is no need to attack me about it.

    ReplyDelete